2005 – present Governor Simcoe Secondary School, DSBN
2003 – 2005 Humberview Secondary School, PDSB
2013 – present OSSTF Provincial CPAC member
2013 – present Recording Secretary, District Executive, OSSTF District 22
2011 – present CPAC Co-Chair, OSSTF District 22
2011 – present Governor Simcoe TBU President, OSSTF District 22
2010 – 2011 Governor Simcoe TBU VP and then President, OSSTF District 22
2009 – 2010 H&S Co-Chair and OSSTF MWJHSC Member, OSSTF District 22
Specialized Knowledge & Experience
– BA (History) McMaster University, Broadcast Journalism diploma Mohawk College , BEd Brock University
– Certified Member by WSIB in Electrical & Utilities, and Offices
– 5 years experience, TV industry
– Communications Technology and media background (Graphic Design, Web Design, Digital Photography, TV/Film/Video Production, Digital Publishing).
– Since becoming District CPAC co-chair a few of our goals have been to improve communications between our members, improve membership awareness, improve membership activity and promote OSSTF in the community. Somethings we have started to do to accomplish these goals are:
– created a digital newsletter (PDFs available here and for the iPad here to improve D22 member communication, awareness and promote D22. The iPad version has been downloaded in 16 different countries. The goal is to also be available for Android by the end of the year.
– created the D22 Facebook group to improve D22 member communication and involvement.
– working towards increasing our use of our Facebook page for media and public communications to promote OSSTF and to improve D22 member communication.
– nearly finished, creating a new district page to improve D22 member and community communication. The site will be similar in format to the new website developed for Governor Simcoe with a professional web designer in the community whose wife is an OSSTF member.
– created the Beyond Teaching Awards to promote OSSTF members amongst our membership and in the communities they teach.
– Designing/creating posters and certificates for OSSTF D22 as well as the Niagara Regional Labour Council and others.
– Started and sit on the School Promotion Committee at Governor Simcoe. The aim was to increase our Gr9 enrollment over the previous year to help save teaching positions. We went from a Gr9 enrollment of 129 in 2011-2012 to 197 in 2012-2013 largely because of the committee’s efforts.
Examples of our campaign can be found here of our promotional material, specifically the poster slideshow, and two of the video’s produced here, specifically the bottom two Simcoe Grads/Simcoe teachers (created by Ivan Iseppon).
The committee’s goal was not just to create materials but a message that we could all give to the community and families interested in coming to Governor Simcoe.
– Creating a new school logo (seen on the splash page) as part of our promotion campaign. The logo is our centre piece, demonstrating the four areas our school develops in students: Learning, Creativity, Well-Being (Physical, Mental and Emotional) and Technology.
– During my co-chair tenure, CPAC has organized political rallies at local MPP offices (Jim Bradley, Tim Hudak) leading up to and during the Bill 115 events. I have attended these rallies.
– D22 CPAC worked with other labour organizations to help elect Liberal MPP St. Catharines Jim Bradley (try not to hold that against me, we didn’t know), Liberal MPP Niagara Falls Kim Craitor and NDP MPP Welland Cindy Forster. This was done financially and with OSSTF members canvassing.
– D22 CPAC was active in the by-election of Peter Kormos to the Niagara Regional Council representing Welland.
– Training and a strong knowledge in the Adobe Creative Suites including, but not limited to, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash and Edge. My experience goes back more than 15 years using the software.
– Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and similar software.
– Strong knowledge of technologies in general as well as industry contacts.
I have a:
– Strong background in communications, media and technologies as well as experience in marketing.
– Strong knowledge and understanding in communications and communications technologies.
– Varied knowledge and experience base from my education, employment history, and personal learning. I have worked in agriculture, forestry, service, media and education. By the nature of what I teach (Comm Tech) I need to be up on current and future trends, ideas, theories, technologies, etc in fields such as media, communications, and marketing so that I can introduce them into my courses to prepare my students.
My experience employment covers private industry, unionized workplaces and non-unionized workplaces. During my time at CogecoTV, I acted as the default ‘shop steward’ because of my knowledge of Federal Labour laws.